Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The "Learn Something New" Club

A few of my friends and I have committed to get together to try and learn new crafts every week.  So far we have tried crocheting (single crochet stitch) and painting a waterfall.

I enjoy crocheting, and so it was up to me to show my friends how to go about doing it.  It didn't take long for me to realize that as a crochet instructor, I totally stink!  Still, it was fun to try and teach (I use this term in the loosest sense of the word) these ladies how to do a single crochet.  This week, it was my other friend's turn to host a "Learn Something New" gathering.  She love's art and wanted to learn how to paint and so found an instructional video on YouTube that would show us aspiring artists how to go about creating a masterpiece.  Masterpieces they were (especially if you think of a Masterpiece being a one of a kind or first of it's kind ergo Master).  What amazed me the most is how very simple a great artist makes something complicated look.  In a few deft strokes he had the beginnings of a great landscape picture.  Our reproductions, didn't seem to mirror anything like he had.  Oh well ...  The point wasn't so much about being completely proficient in something, so much as the experience of stepping out of your comfort zone and learning something new.  In that regard, I think all of us scored a high "A".

Below is an example of my finished project in yesterday's adventure into something new.  However, if you want to see some really beautiful pictures, you should head on over here to my friend, Elsa's virtual art gallery.  Now that's some beautiful art!


2 comments:

  1. What a fun time for you gals. I think its an awesome waterfall...bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch you ladies go - trying out all sorts of new things. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete